The RenoMark checkmark is a badge of honour for home renovation contractors in Canada. It identifies renovation contractors who have agreed to a specific Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct. The benefit for homeowners is that they get to choose from contractors that are all committed to the same standard of excellence and customer service. But what exactly is different about Renomark contractors?
- Contractors must be a member of the Building Industry Land Development Association (BILD) and be in good standing. As members of BILD they have access to the latest industry information including renovation practices and design trends.
- Contractors must abide by the BILD code of ethics [link]. This gives extra assurance that your contractor is looking out for your best interest and will act ethically throughout the entire project.
- All projects must include a written contract with a detailed scope of work. This not only helps the project to stay organized, but it also protects the homeowners interest in case of a dispute.
- All work must carry a minimum of two wears warranty. This is a full year more than what is required by law. The result is that contractors are more committed to doing the work right and homeowners have a guarantee in case anything is found later.
- Contractors are required to have a minimum of $2 million in liability insurance. This will cover any damage that may be caused by the contractor or their employees throughout the project. We’ve all heard the stories of what happens when damage is caused and there is no insurance…
- There must be a commitment to workplace safety. This includes maintaining safe jobsites and also carrying appropriate coverage for employees and subcontractors (WCB). Safety for the employees extends to safety for homeowners and their guests throughout the renovation.
- Phone calls must be returned within two business days. There is nothing worse than trying to get information from a contractor who does not communicate. The commitment to being prompt gives homeowners peace of mind and keeps contractors accountable.